I have been suffering from adrenal fatigue for about a year now and am on the road back to recovery. There are a number of things I am doing to support my body as I nurse myself back to full health. This includes limiting alcohol and caffeine, aiming for 8 hours sleep every night, taking high quality supplements, and starting each day with a metabolism boosting morning tonic.
The first thing I do when I wake up is prepare a tonic of half a squeezed lemon, a teaspoon of mineral salt, a dash of apple cider vinegar and 10 drops of Dr. Wilson’s Herbal Adrenal Support Formula® in a glass of warm water (3/4 cold filtered water and topped up with hot water from the kettle).
Let’s look at the benefit of each of the ingredients:
Cited benefits of a large glass of warm water in the morning before consuming or drinking anything else include:
- Cleanses digestion – tightening of intestines aids waste elimination and flushing of toxins
- Aids in constipation – stimulation of the bowels
- Improves blood circulation – warm water is thought to have a soothing effect on the abdomen helping with different areas of pain in the body from stomach cramp to tight muscles
- Halts premature aging – warm water cleanses the body of harmful toxins
- Helps reduce weight – warm water increases your metabolic rate thereby burning fat faster – this one alone sold me on the benefits!
- Hydration – Put the coffee aside for now – starting the day with a glass of water instantly helps your body receive a hydration boost which is just what it needs after a good sleep
TIP: I find drinking warm water is much easier than drinking cold water. It’s satisfying after waking and easier to drink.
There are many touted benefits of drinking lemon juice including:
- Immune system boost from the Vitamin C – lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties
- Helps the liver recovery from its busy night working hard while you sleep
- Increased metabolism – even more so than just drinking warm water alone!
- Assists digestion and wakes your mind and body up naturally (who needs caffeine!)
- Flushes out toxins
- Helps relieve tooth pain
TIP: Grow your own lemon tree in the garden or in a large pot. I have a great lemon tree at home that produces Yen Ben lemons (also known as Lisbon) which are thin skinned and very juicy. I love being able to use fresh lemons out of the garden!
My preference of mineral salt is Himalayan salt. This salt is on the other end of the spectrum to highly processed table salt. Himalayan salt is mined from ancient sea beds and contains 84 trace minerals. An interesting thing happens when Himalayan salt is added to water – an ionic energy is created which provides additional benefits to your health! Water that contains unrefined salt is called Sole. The benefits include:
- thyroid and adrenal support
- Blood sugar and hormone support
- Helps keep blood pressure balanced
- Hormone balance support
- Reduces muscle cramps
- Increases energy and hydration
- Increases minerals available to the body
- Body detoxification through balancing system pH level
Apple Cider Vinegar
You know about apple cider vinegar in cooking but did you know it is also considered to be an ancient health remedy? Some of the benefits of drinking organic apple cider vinegar include:
- High acetic acid with potent positive biological effects
- Antimicrobial properties can kill bad bacteria in your body
- Helps lower blood sugar levels – great for helping keep chronic disease away and also very good for diabetics especially when taken after a meal
- Thought to increase feelings of satiety (fullness) helping control weight by eating less calories
Dr Wilson’s Herbal Adrenal Support Formula
I take this twice a day along with other Dr Wilson products to help with my adrenal fatigue. Healthy adrenal glands promote good sleep and steady energy and hormone levels.
From Dr Wilson’s website: Herbal Adrenal Support Formula is a unique, liquid herbal dietary supplement designed to help balance and sustain functioning of organs and glands affected by stress, especially your adrenal glands, and to support healthy levels of adrenal hormones in times of stress. Its combined ingredients promote healthy functioning of the Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenal (HPA) Axis that modulates your body’s response to stress.
If you are interested to learn more, please visit Dr Wilson’s website.
So that’s my daily tonic right now. It will likely change over time based on my learnings and needs. I’d love to hear about what morning tonics you take to promote your health and well-being. Please comment below to share!